Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

Nice find I really don't think there's any deeper meaning behind it (other than "oh hey look, we got this bag lying around, put it in the background of the shot"), but to each their own, I guess

What we have here is a dreamer.
Someone completely out of touch
with reality.
wolkenfuehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Stone-skipping in YA 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Nice find.
Thanks, Anja. It's amazing what one sees after not watching for long enough to stop assuming that everything with printed words on it must be a book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
I really don't think there's any deeper meaning behind it ...
That's because you Europeans are all in-the-closet toffee-flavoured popcorn addicts, due to cultural repression of your innate craving for peanut butter.

Here's a "little thing" that can't be a coincidence, that has to have some meaning:

In the last pre-voice-over scene of episode 3, who has just conceded to Bella's demand that he date Paige, throwing tiny stones at Bella's bedroom window until she opens it, lies and tells her he's really keen on Paige. Bela lets fall a tear because she knows he's lying, and the following dialogue ensues:
SCOUT: You wanna walk to the lake? I'll teach you how to skip a stone.

BELLA: Scout, I know how to skip a stone.

SCOUT: Ok. Then you can show me, 'cause I don't.
The previous scene is the one in which Finn, having retrieved the video camera from the Dean's office, finds Will on the dock and thanks him for having tried to keep the Dean from finding out about Finn's affair with the Dean's wife, Hamilton's mom. That scene starts fifteen seconds before Finn shows up and talks to Will. Those fifteen seconds show Will on the dock, alone save for a duck swimming nearby -- and twice, he skips a stone on the surface of the lake. It's from 3:12 to 3:27 minutes into this clip.

Plainly, skipping a stone is a metaphor for something Will has done in episode 3 that Scout has been unable to do or has pretended not to do -- something vaguely wondrous, that seems to defy nature, like skipping a stone on the surface of a lake.

But what? Perhaps, in footage mercifully cut by a film editor, Will has proven better than Scout at resisting the delights of toffee-flavoured popcorn?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

"Buttery toffee popcorn with peanuts" sounds like something straight out of hell tbh.

Good job on finally figuring out what it is though I still highly doubt it has any meaning Maybe Rodney was just eating it in between takes and stashed it there, I mean had it been a bag of salt chips or crackers you could have somehow found some significance for that too, somehow relating it to the context of the show. However, regardless of whether Antin intended it or not, shows are there to be interpreted whichever way by their audience

[18 YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
_____♪you're the d a r k n e s s in me
[Sheida:Tumblr | Twitter |Tveit:Vote]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:57 PM
New Fan

Something in the series which doesn't make sense to me

First, I apologize if this is not the right place and/or method to post this question.

Thinking back on this TV series, there is something which I've never been able to make sense of:

Why didn't Jake's classmates/acquaintances ask her what her real name was upon learning of her true gender? Why did they continue to refer to her by her male alias, even in scenes where she was not actively hiding her gender? Did they not already know that "Jake" is extremely rare as a female name?

Last edited by TML88; 10-01-2018 at 10:07 PM
TML88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

Hi! I moved your post to this thread and finally edited the title of it a bit to make it more suitable for smaller discussions and questions like that

About your question, I think it comes down to a few things:

We only got eight episodes so the focus of the gender reveal scenes was the shock of that, I think all the characters first are so overwhelmed by that new information that they only a few hours later would think "wait, Jake's not even a girl's name! What's your real name?", which then is a scene we didn't see based on the limited time we had, especially given that (apart from Hamilton) we only got the reveal scenes in episode 7 and 8

Even if Jake isn't her real name, it's a name she chose for herself and obviously doesn't mind being referred to, her boyfriend still refers to her as that, and there's always the risk of someone overhearing her friends using her real name in public. Also I think the group was probably just really used to the name at that point so it'd have to take longer for them to adapt to the new name/using it.

From what we saw of Jake's personality, I also don't think she loves the name, and probably uses/used a nickname with previous friends. Maybe that nickname was even Jake/Jackie or anything like that which would make the transition to being adressed as "Jake" at Rawley a little easier

What we have here is a dreamer.
Someone completely out of touch
with reality.
wolkenfuehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread