Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Elite Fan

wow I would have never guessed that there is a big difference between the us and the european "version"
TessShipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

I only knew that there were two (or three?) scenes that were only in the European release, but I didn't know about all the establishing shots etc!

What we have here is a dreamer.
Someone completely out of touch
with reality.
wolkenfuehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Shots cut from the US version but aired in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
I only knew that there were two (or three?) scenes that were only in the European release, but I didn't know about all the establishing shots etc!
Some dialogue present in the European version of YA but absent in the US version seems relatively well-known, having been posted as "cuts" on Youtube and documented in the "cut scenes" page of the "Strawberry Lane" website, for example:
-- a snippet in Hamilton's homosexual-panic scene near the start of episode 2,
-- Jake saying goodbye to Bella after their girl-chat in episode 7, and
-- two interesting snippets in episode 8, in which Finn tells Scout that he plans to spend the rest of the summer backpacking in Costa Rica, and Bella tells Will that she had a crush on him when they were younger.

The non-dialogue differences may have escaped notice simply because they do not involve dialogue. However, some dialogue cuts in the US version seem also to have escaped notice. Look at the following material cut from version aired in the US (and enjoy the visual quality, best appreciated by setting the clips to 480 pixels):
-- From Episode 2, "Our Town," the shots of New Rawley (Havre de Grace) at minutes 2:55 to 3:25 of this clip, minutes 0:29 to 0:59 of this clip, and minutes 0:08 to 0:18 of this clip.
-- From Episode 3, the recapitulation of previous episodes, at the start of this clip; a bit of under-the-car auto-mechanical chat between Bella and Paige at minutes 8:18 to 8:26 of the same clip; and a bit of Paige-Scout phone chat at minutes 5:28 to 5:35 of this clip.
-- In Episode 6, a whole scene in which Finn almost catches Ryder hosting a poker game with money stakes, at minutes 7:27 to 8:17 of this clip - a scene that seems to foreshadow the shower scene in episode 8.

None of these cuts are mentioned at "Strawberry Lane," and I've seen none of them posted separately on YouTube.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-29-2010 at 03:52 AM
Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Sheer visual beauty, charming details, and cuts

The sheer visual beauty of YA, when watched with good-quality visual, is really breathtaking. A metaphor for Rawley's moral perfection and the idealism in art and life that YA advocates, of course, but delightful in itself, apart from all that. "Like Thoreau said, Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."

Another joy of watching YA with decent visual quality, whether in French, in Spanish, or English (YA with good visual quality is now online in all three languages), is that one sees little homely details: for example, at minute 2:23 of this clip, one sees that Bella and her stepfather have a tomato plant, bearing ripe red fruit in August, in front of their gas station. That's no less lovely than the flower boxes in the windows in front of Friendly's. One rarely sees such things in reality. YA's idealism, on the aesthetic level.

Re the discussion, below, of shots and scenes included in YA as aired in France and Spain but not in YA as aired in the USA: there's a lot of them, as I know from just having put English subtitles into all of them that contain dialogue in my clips of YA on YouTube. The most substantive of them are:
-- (a) an exchange between Finn and Will at the end of episode 3 in which Finn rethinks his comments in episode 1 about passion;
-- (b) several exchanges between Paige and Bella in episode 3 that develop Paige's character much more sympathetically, and, interestingly, make Paige seem like a contrast to Pratt as a study in gender-bending; and
-- (c) the shot in episode 8 in which Bella begins to understand that her affection for Will, cultivated since childhood, might grow into real love. It's no accident that Jake and Hamilton are in the background during that shot; Bella's relationship with Will is one of mutual compassion, and Bella has been inspired by Fleming to see that compassion can engender passion.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-19-2010 at 10:28 PM
Old 10-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Loyal Fan

Finn & Stephen Vincent Benet's "Western Star"

In episode 3 of "Young Americans," as Finn sits at his desk in his classroom, pondering what to do after learning from Krudski about the tape in the dean's office, we see a book on top of his desk. In HD, the title is visible. It's 5:04 minutes into this clip.

The book is a first edition of Stephen Vincent Benet's last work, his epic poem about the settlement of the United States, Western Star (1943), for which he was posthumously awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1944. Its opening chapters describe chiefly the European settlement of New England in the 17th century.

Never a best-seller and long out of print, this book is rarely seen, and not even a partial text is available online. To see a copy in a WB teen summer drama is remarkable.

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-30-2010 at 01:36 PM
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Three "little things" in episode 7

Yet more of the "little things" one sees when watching YA in HD:

The Rawley crest in the common room

In episode 1, we see the Rawley crest (Veritas est virtus) displayed inside the main entryway of Rawley Boys', where it seems to be what one would first see upon entering the building through its main door (above which Hamilton Fleming perches in episodes 1 and 7).

But the crest is also displayed above the fireplace in the common room. Our only clear view of it there is in episode 7, viewed through the doorway between the common room and the adjoining library, where Ryder intrudes upon Pratt and Fleming. It's at minutes 2:19 through 2:30 of this clip. The board on which the crest is hung above the fireplace in the common room differs in shape from that on which it is hung in the entryway. We also see the bottom tip of it in episode 3, in Ryder's "film within a film."

Thus the Rawley motto, "Truth is Virtue," forms the background to the scene in which Ryder appears first to suspect and to threaten Pratt's gender deception. An interesting juxtaposition, and likely a deliberate one.

The mystery crest in the common room

Stangely, a small crest, containing a white center, apparently bearing three towers as gules, surrounded by a red border, appears in some kind of display case just a few seconds earlier, 2:09 minutes into the same clip. It appears just above Pratt's head as Fleming tickles Pratt's ear. I'm no scholar of heraldry. Does anyone recognize it?

That crest is not shown in any other shot of the common room throughout YA. So why is it shown above Pratt's head as Fleming tickles her ear? The successive appearance, only ten seconds apart, of two crests not shown elsewhere in YA, seems interesting.

Pratt in Fleming's window perch?

Near the start of episode 7, in its first "establishing shot" of Rawley Boys', at 8:04 to 8:06 minutes into this clip, someone who is not Hamilton Fleming briefly is shown in the same window above Rawley's front door in which Fleming perches both when first seen in episode 1 and later in episode 7. Even in HD, one can't see clearly who it is. But it seems to be someone with dark hair, wearing a grey shirt or sweatsuit with long white sleeves.

That's exactly what Pratt wears repeatedly in YA, e.g., when first seen in episode 6, 0:28 to 1:06 minutes into this clip. And few other characters in YA, even among the extras, wear either sweatsuit-grey or long sleeves. Fleming never wears anything like that.

This is the only scene in YA in which anyone but Fleming is seen in Fleming's window perch above Rawley's front door. It could just be a blooper. The person who is in the window when the scene starts quickly retreats into the building.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-19-2010 at 09:35 PM
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Loyal Fan

Why "Western Star"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
In episode 3 of "Young Americans," as Finn sits at his desk in his classroom, pondering what to do after learning from Krudski about the tape in the dean's office, we see a book on top of his desk ... a first edition of Stephen Vincent Benet's last work, his epic poem about the settlement of the United States, Western Star (1943), for which he was posthumously awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1944.

Never a best-seller and long out of print, this book is rarely seen, and not even a partial text is available online. To see a copy in a WB teen summer drama is remarkable.
So why is this book shown on Finn's desk in that scene? I finally have an idea:

Although the planet Venus is now more commonly called the "evening star" or "morning star," it has also been called the "western star" or "eastern star." For example, Walt Whitman, of whom Benet wrote an elegy ("Burning City") in 1936, wrote in January 1865: "The Western star, Venus, in the earlier hours of the evening, has never been so large, so clear." A few months later, in his elogy of Lincoln, "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd," Whitman referred to Lincoln as "him I love -- O powerful western, fallen star." What makes that allusion apt is the association of love with the western star by its name, "Venus."

Thus, although the book on Finn's desk is an epic poem about the first European settlement of the United States, the book's title, which is all we see of it in Young Americans, is an allusion to Venus, and, hence, to love. Fittingly, we see it in a darkened classroom, by the last light of day in early evening. Finn then goes to the window, looks out, and -- in what is arguably the most visually beautiful scene in Young Americans -- sees Kate and Hamilton Fleming playing with their dogs on the western lawn of Tyrconnell in the sunset. He is moved by this vision to have compassion for Hamilton and to end his affair with Kate, to embrace a love truer than the mere passion he has previously indulged and advocated. The next day, speaking with Krudski on the dock (in a scene cut from the US version but aired in Europe), Finn repents encouraging his students to live for passion.

And so the visual allusion to Benet's book is apt.

There is artistry in this. And it's very deliberate. "Western Star" is a book seldom seen. Someone went to some trouble to find a copy and show it on Finn's desk in this scene. And, like so much similar artistry in YA, it seems utterly out of place in a WB network drama for teens, who could hardly be expected to perceive this allusion.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-19-2010 at 06:40 PM
Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Loyal Fan

Red Hots

Quote:
EXT COUNTRY ROAD – DUSK

Bella driving … Will has his head back on the seat. … Bella smiles. God. She loves this guy.

BELLA: Did I ever tell you... When I was eight. I had a crush on you. … And every time you'd say hello to me I'd blush so red I'd have to turn away and hide my face so you wouldn't see. … And when my mom left... One day I was sitting outside the station on the curb, and I'd been crying, feeling sorry for myself, and you came over and offered me some Red Hots. Remember that?

Will looks at her. Smiles.

WILL: I sure do.

… Hamilton and Jake sit close together in the back seat.

-- YA episode 8 (scene cut from the version as aired in the USA, but retained in version aired in some European countries)
“Red hots” is a generic name (not a registered trademark) for small red cinnamon candies. The term pre-dates its use, since the 1930s, by the Ferrara Pan Candy Company of Chicago. Candy makers in the U.S.A., such as Schimpff’s of Jeffersonville, Indiana, have been making red hots since the 19th century.

Although Ferrara’s red hots are round, many red hots are heart-shaped. They commonly are used to decorate baked goods, such as cakes and cookies, or as Valentine’s Day gifts.

YA’s allusion to red hots suggests that Krudski gave his heart to Bella in childhood, that she accepted it, and that they both remember this. It underscores the suggestion in this scene, and in other scenes of episodes 4, 5 and 8 – including Bella’s final words to Krudski, “Don’t disappear on me” – that the mature Krudski, YA’s narrator, is married to Bella. They seem predestined for one another.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-29-2010 at 02:02 AM
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

Quote:
Pratt in Fleming's window perch?

Near the start of episode 7, in its first "establishing shot" of Rawley Boys', at 8:04 to 8:06 minutes into this clip, someone who is not Hamilton Fleming briefly is shown in the same window above Rawley's front door in which Fleming perches both when first seen in episode 1 and later in episode 7. Even in HD, one can't see clearly who it is. But it seems to be someone with dark hair, wearing a grey shirt or sweatsuit with long white sleeves.

That's exactly what Pratt wears repeatedly in YA, e.g., when first seen in episode 6, 0:28 to 1:06 minutes into this clip. And few other characters in YA, even among the extras, wear either sweatsuit-grey or long sleeves. Fleming never wears anything like that.

This is the only scene in YA in which anyone but Fleming is seen in Fleming's window perch above Rawley's front door. It could just be a blooper. The person who is in the window when the scene starts quickly retreats into the building.
Wow, now thats gotta be some careful watching its interesting to think about it being Jake but its just as interesting thinking about it as a blooper,

Quote:
Bella driving … Will has his head back on the seat. … Bella smiles. God. She loves this guy.

BELLA: Did I ever tell you... When I was eight. I had a crush on you. … And every time you'd say hello to me I'd blush so red I'd have to turn away and hide my face so you wouldn't see. … And when my mom left... One day I was sitting outside the station on the curb, and I'd been crying, feeling sorry for myself, and you came over and offered me some Red Hots. Remember that?

Will looks at her. Smiles.

WILL: I sure do.

… Hamilton and Jake sit close together in the back seat.
Wow, they cut this out? perhaps didnt want to add another obvious potential guy to Bellas "suitors" but its a cute scene and definately makes it all the more obvious that these two are better suited for each other than Bella/Sean or Bella/Scout, I think if theyd gone that road in S2, theres a big chance I would have shipped them together

[18 YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
_____♪you're the d a r k n e s s in me
[Sheida:Tumblr | Twitter |Tveit:Vote]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Loyal Fan

Re: Red Hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
Wow, they cut this out?
Sheida,

The scene, in episode 8, in which Bella finally realizes that she loves Will, and that he will be the one for her when she's able to love truly. was not in the version of Young Americans aired in the USA in the summer of 2000, but was in the version of YA subsequently aired in France, Spain, and some other European countries.

By contrast, there's a lot of material in the shooting scipts posted online, both at TwizTV and at Strawberry Lane, that was cut from all known versions of the series as aired. Those scripts are NOT transcripts of any aired version.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

Quote:
Thus the Rawley motto, "Truth is Virtue," forms the background to the scene in which Ryder appears first to suspect and to threaten Pratt's gender deception. An interesting juxtaposition, and likely a deliberate one.
Interesting. I hadn't spotted it yet I don't exactly think the set designers/Antin/whoever thought about how neat it would be to show that crest during that scene and put it into the common room set because of that particular reason, but since the whole motto sort of fits the YA storylines anyway, of course it is a nice fit

As for the "mystery crest", no idea what that is

Quote:
As neat as it is to think of this as a deliberate thing, I think it's mostly just coincidence?

Quote:
It underscores the suggestion in this scene, and in other scenes of episodes 4, 5 and 8 – including Bella’s final words to Krudski, “Don’t disappear on me” – that the mature Krudski, YA’s narrator, is married to Bella. They seem predestined for one another.
Bella/Will were definitely alluded to throughout the series, especially in ep 4 and also in that cut scene. I still find it quite weird that a handful of scenes were cut for the US release, but not for the rest of the world. Surely the reason couldn't have been that the episodes ran too long? And if it was for creative reasons, why not leave them out completely? I guess we'll never know.

Quote:
perhaps didnt want to add another obvious potential guy to Bellas "suitors" [...] I think if theyd gone that road in S2, theres a big chance I would have shipped them together
Maybe that's the reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have shipped it at all...I mean, I can see why people ship(ped) them, but... nah.

with reality.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

I dont understand them removing it from only the US version as well, seems a bit weird, I mean, if they were suggesting a Bella/Will romance for S2 then they had to keep it in all of them they couldnt have had one country pursue the romance and not show it in other countries weird.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
I still find it quite weird that a handful of scenes were cut for the US release, but not for the rest of the world. Surely the reason couldn't have been that the episodes ran too long? And if it was for creative reasons, why not leave them out completely? I guess we'll never know.
Oh, I know, at least in the case of the French version (also used, redubbed, as non-English versions including the Spanish-language version) and for all but one episode. The reason's clear and simple. The French version had extra time, especially in the even-numbered episodes, because it was aired in two-episode segments. There was no opening "Six Packs" song and no jumping in the lake and no credits at the beginnings of the even-numbered episodes.

The only odd-numbered episode of which the French version has substantially more footage than the US version is episode 3. Why episode 3 was so much shorter in the US version, I am not sure.

All the material included in the French version but not the US version is mostly easy to spot in the YA clips on the "IckyGrub" channel of YouTube -- it's the shots where the dialogue is given in English only by subtitles.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

Its very peculiar, certainly something to think about, why scenes were cut for some countries but not others

Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Young Americans

Quote:
if they were suggesting a Bella/Will romance for S2 then they had to keep it in all of them they couldnt have had one country pursue the romance and not show it in other countries weird.
True Imagine Will in season 2: "remember when you told me you had had this crush on me when we were kids?" and the US viewers would've been so confused

Quote:
The reason's clear and simple. The French version had extra time, especially in the even-numbered episodes, because it was aired in two-episode segments. There was no opening "Six Packs" song and no jumping in the lake and no credits at the beginnings of the even-numbered episodes.
That makes sense, but we had single episodes in Germany, and we still got the extra scenes, even though all the episodes had the theme song.

with reality.
Reply   Post New Thread