Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 PM
  #16
Obsessed Fan

 
UnsilentMajorty's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 5,132
I think they could go this route... But in Season II or III to where it actually would have more meaning beyond the "shock" value it would have right now.

I could possibly see this scenario playing out -- even if it turned out to be a false alarm -- Down the road as a way to shake things up, but only AFTER everyone's characters have been established and some boundries drawn.

I have the utmost faith in the VM writers that they would handle the Veronica/Duncan as half-siblings storyline in a mature manner -- and not just go for the gross-out, incest factor -- To where the characters would have to deal with it in a realistic way...

And this is why I say it could be a possibility in a hypothetical season II or III because then there is enough history established (no pun intended) between everyone to where hopefully something this life-altering would be dealt with "properly".

You can have your audience suspend their disbelief of the most absurd, cliche, whatever-you-call-it plot element IF it is executed properly AND, most importantly, the characters REACT to it properly. That's the key.

It's like we were talking about before on the TV Board Thread:

It's not so much the actual events or revelations that make a show interesting it is the reaction of the characters to those events and revelations and that is the root of human drama. I believe the VM writers are capable of accurately portraying the drama that would ensue if it did turn out Veronica was Jake's illigitimate daughter in a more credible way that say soap operas or big, mainstream shows like DHW and Lost would.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:38 PM
  #17
Total Fan

 
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 7,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplum
I don't think that UPN would go for that.
For some reason, this statement just seems ridiculous to me. The writers have freedom to incorporate what they want. UPN wouldn't hinder the creative process that is making the show so loved by setting boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajority
I believe the VM writers are capable of accurately portraying the drama...in a more credible way than...Lost would.
Just like Veronica Mars, Lost's season(s) arc is a mystery that unfolds with each episode. Evidence that suggests certain possibilites is revealed and developed to its fullest extent possible, which may not be much. I say this because certain limitations do exist for the characters. Boone isn't going to parade his semi-incestuous love for Shannon because he has been harboring that secret for his entire life, almost. The audience sees them responding to the situation in the flashbacks, just as it sees other characters do the same. This storytelling method is present in Veronica Mars as well.

I don't see how Lost is any less "credible" than Veronica Mars is.
__________________
The pope rides the short bus.
Eidolon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 PM
  #18
Elite Fan

 
FAIT_Accompli's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,725
I don't watch Lost, and I know this is completely off topic, but I've seen people "shipping" Boone and Shannon, and I thought they were brother and sister. That is their relationship, right? It's been driving me crazy.

And ... Veronica Kane ... hmm. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to reveal any spoilers (and by not wanting to reveal any spoilers, I'm not revealing any, so don't think I'm hiding the fact that Veronica is a half-Kane ... er ... cause I'm not, and I don't know!) but ... I definitely think it could be a possibility.

Yeah. That sounded very articulate. Not.
__________________
She built a skyscrapper of procrastonation
And then she leaned out the twenty-fifth floor window of her reply
And she felt like an actress, just reading her lines
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
FAIT_Accompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:36 AM
  #19
Ultimate Fan

 
Cruel Irony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIT_Accompli
[size=1]I don't watch Lost, and I know this is completely off topic, but I've seen people "shipping" Boone and Shannon, and I thought they were brother and sister. That is their relationship, right? It's been driving me crazy.
They are step-brother and sister, so that makes it kinda okay... I guess.

I'm going to edit in comments to the discussion later but I have to go right now.
__________________
-Alex

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Cruel Irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:09 AM
  #20
Obsessed Fan

 
UnsilentMajorty's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 5,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon14
I don't see how Lost is any less "credible" than Veronica Mars is.
It is not an issue of credibility. It is an issue of who their primary demographic is and who is pulling the strings, in this case, a big, mainstream network, ABC, versus a small weblet like UPN.

Because it is ABC, I am more inclined to believe they will go for the "shock" value of the "incest" between step-siblings lusting after one another versus Veronica Mars where things like that are handled in a more mature, subtle way...

Because UPN is letting the writers do what they want (for the most part) and trusting them enough to "shock" people, but shock them with good storytelling compared to cheap theatrics and melodrama. VM has drama and other shows rely on melodrama. That is a big difference and why a lot of the cult shows like VM, Roswell, BTVS often find their audiences and survive long after other shows that rely more on melodrama have faded away and or then rely on the "shock" factors, but for all the wrong reasons.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
  #21
Loyal Fan
 
sugarplum's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIT_Accompli
I don't watch Lost, and I know this is completely off topic, but I've seen people "shipping" Boone and Shannon, and I thought they were brother and sister. That is their relationship, right? It's been driving me crazy.
Yes, they're brother and sister. Well, they're step siblings actually.

But blood relation never stops people from shipping two characters. For instance, I was a very big Roswell fan. People shipped Max and Isabel together and they were actually brother and sister.
__________________
LoVe springs eternal.
Watch Veronica Mars Tuesday @ 9 on UPN!

Icon from...somewhere. I don't know. Sorry!
sugarplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 PM
  #22
Ultimate Fan

 
Cruel Irony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
Because it is ABC, I am more inclined to believe they will go for the "shock" value of the "incest" between step-siblings lusting after one another versus Veronica Mars where things like that are handled in a more mature, subtle way...
I really don't think Lost had that for the shock value... that angle wasn't promoted at all.

Each episode has flashbacks to a certain character's life before the crash, and in Boone's, it's just revealed that he and Shannon had a thing going on. It's wasn't blatant like, "INCEST!"
__________________
-Alex

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Cruel Irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
  #23
Total Fan

 
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 7,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
It is not an issue of credibility.
Oh really? So when you said "the VM writers are capable of accurately portraying the drama" in "a more credible way," you weren't making it an issue of credibility? I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
It is an issue of who their primary demographic is...
Lost is meant to be a show that targets the 18-30 age group, I'm pretty sure, whereas Veronica has a teen demographic. The former would theoretically be the more mature. If it is a matter of primary demographic, as you claim, wouldn't Lost be more mature? Whether this is the case is another situation, but according to your logic, I would be right.

See, you can't judge a show based on the network. If people did, Veronica Mars would seem like a cheap comedy meant to lure in a demographic other networks don't want. Of course, Veronica isn't that at all. I'm not saying it doesn't handle drama well, but you saying that Lost doesn't is just ridiculous, especially with the reasoning behind it.

J.J. Abrams and his writing team have just as much creative freedom as Rob Thomas'. ABC wouldn't meddle with whatever the writers are doing anyways since it's working so damn well.
__________________
The pope rides the short bus.
Eidolon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
  #24
Elite Fan

 
FAIT_Accompli's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,725
Step-siblings. Okay. Glad I have that straight.

I personally don't see relationships between step-siblings to be that worthy of a shock value as oposed to, say, rape or murder. The fact of the matter is, you're dealing with two people who are not related by blood, and the situations vary where parents can marry, and their kids harbored feelings for one another before the parents even started seeing one another. I'm sure it's a very real situation many families have to contend with. Granted, I have no clue as to the situation of Boone and Shannon (and truthfully, beyond them being step-siblings, I really don't care: I come here to talk about Veronica Mars, not Lost.)

But that's just a personal opinion, and we're straying quite far from the topic of this thread. Which is Veronica's paternity.
__________________
She built a skyscrapper of procrastonation
And then she leaned out the twenty-fifth floor window of her reply
And she felt like an actress, just reading her lines
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
FAIT_Accompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:31 PM
  #25
Total Fan

 
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 7,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIT_Accompli
But that's just a personal opinion, and we're straying quite far from the topic of this thread. Which is Veronica's paternity.
You're right, but I was just interested in the digressed discussion.
__________________
The pope rides the short bus.
Eidolon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM
  #26
Elite Fan

 
FAIT_Accompli's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,725
It's a great debate topic. But perhaps something better suited for the Off Topic board?

I only say this, because I'm tempted to join in myself, and would only further help in straying from the topic at hand here.
__________________
She built a skyscrapper of procrastonation
And then she leaned out the twenty-fifth floor window of her reply
And she felt like an actress, just reading her lines
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
FAIT_Accompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
  #27
New Fan
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Hey I'm new

Quote:
And I got the impression that (if Jake is indeed her father) Lilly and Duncan both knew. Because that would explain Duncan suddenly breaking it off with Veronica, and Lilly telling her not to worry. So why is Duncan still alive?
Hi everyone! I'm new to the board but not to the show. IA with what you just said because that is prolly why when VM asked Lilly to find out why Duncan broke up with her and she came back and told her to leave it alone and that she was better off. Also, when Veronica asked Duncan if he knew that their parents were the king and queen of the high school dance he was quite evasive and I think he actually wasn't letting on all he knew. And I don't think this will turn out to be the case but to answer your second question as to why Duncan is alive, maybe he found out that Lilly was gonna tell Veronica and he killer her, however, I SERIOUSLY doubt that!
Lailz
__________________
Lailz
Lailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 PM
  #28
Elite Fan

 
FAIT_Accompli's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 25,725
Whoa. Duncan breaking up with Veronica suddenly because he knew they were half-siblings (or potential) makes ... a lot of sense.

I highly doubt anyone would murder Lily over this information (though, in doing so, I underestimate the intentions of the bourgouisie, so perhaps I shouldn't.) though, but who knows.

It certainly is something worth pondering.
__________________
She built a skyscrapper of procrastonation
And then she leaned out the twenty-fifth floor window of her reply
And she felt like an actress, just reading her lines
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
FAIT_Accompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
  #29
Obsessed Fan

 
fallfromgrace's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 5,075
I doubt that Jake Kane really is Veronica's father, but it's an interesting storyline and works to create questions for Veronica's character. I just don't see the writers wanting to permanently ruin any chance of Veronica getting back together with Duncan at any point, or even think about getting them back together, by the fact that they're half brother/half sister. So while I don't think the writers aren't willing to take the risk or something like that, I just don't think they'd seal off a Veronica/Duncan route permanently. Plus I think having Veronica "lose" the only close tie she has left from her "previous" life i.e. Keith as her biological father, would be a bit too much for the character considering how much she's gone through.
fallfromgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:44 AM
  #30
Loyal Fan
 
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,320
I think the Veronica Kane think is a red herring, I honestly don't believe Jake is her father.
__________________
Ron/Hermione - Chloe/Lex - Veronica/Weevil - Mac/Beaver - Angel/Cordy
*Sooz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Bookmarks



Forum Affiliates
Veronica Mars News, Lovely Kristen Bell, Veronica & Wallace, VM Headquarters
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2018.

Copyright © 1998-2018, Fan Forum.


TEST